Durban conference delivers breakthrough for climate
The European Union welcomes the agreement reached at the UN climate conference in Durban as a historic breakthrough in the fight against climate change. After two weeks of negotiations, the 195 Parties to the UN climate change convention agreed on a roadmap, proposed by the EU, for drawing up a legal framework by 2015 for climate action by all countries. The Durban conference also agreed that there will be a second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol, made operational the new Green Climate Fund for developing countries and approved a series of measures which build on the progress made at last year’s Cancun conference.
Connie Hedegaard, European Commissioner for Climate Action, said: “EU’s strategy worked. When many parties after Cancun said that Durban could only implement decisions taken in Copenhagen and Cancun, the EU wanted more ambition. And got more. We would not take a new Kyoto period unless we got in return a roadmap for the future where all countries must commit. Where the Kyoto divides the world into two categories, we will now get a system that reflects the reality of the today’s mutually interdependent world. And as we are interdependent, what we promise to do must have the same legal weight. With the agreement on a roadmap towards a new legal framework by 2015 that will involve all countries in combating climate change, the EU has achieved its key goal for the Durban climate conference’’.
Source and read more here: MEMO/11/895 Brussels, 11 December 2012 Durban conference delivers breakthrough for climate
- Durban UN Climate Conference Ends with Mostly Talk, No Action (israelnationalnews.com)
- COP17 Durban – EU Press Conference Friday 9th 2011 No deal, Big countries are not coming to the board (europeancitizen.org)
- Hope at last at the Durban conference on climate change | Michael Jacobs (guardian.co.uk)
- DUD IN DURBAN: Climate Conference Ends Without A Deal. The developed nations typically make a lo… (pjmedia.com)
- Forest Carbon And The Durban Climate Conference (chimalaya.org)
- Durban Conference: Climate Talks Hindered By National Interests, Economic Worries (huffingtonpost.com)
- Durban Climate Conference Stalemate Pushes Talks Into Extra Time (chimalaya.org)
- Durban climate deal: the verdict (guardian.co.uk)
- Durban Deal Done — Climate Change Conference Ends (reason.com)
- Durban climate conference stalemate pushes talks into extra time (guardian.co.uk)
- Durban: Saving the Planet or Saving Face? (huffingtonpost.com)
No comments yet.